Australia Day is known to celebrate the anniversary of Governor Arthur Phillip raising the Union Jack Flag on Australian soil on 26th January, 1788. Looking for the best places to visit on Australia Day in the Hawkesbury to celebrate together? Only about 1 hour away from Sydney you can discover the Hawkesbury which is a great place to visit for so many reasons.
A considerable amount of people take this special day for the opportunity to reflect and spend time with friends and families at social gatherings, exploring and adventuring. If you are stuck on ideas for Australia Day, I have compiled a short list of popular local activities that locals and tourists love to visit in the Hawkesbury.
because of the sun-drenched landscapes, rivers, bike tracks, cafes, swimming holes and creeks.
- Have a BBQ with friends and family
- Take the family to visit a local park such as Howe and Government Parks, Windsor – BBQ facilities – there are also bike riding/walking paths and play equipment
- The Perfect Escape – The Award Winning Love Cabins where there is such a choice of accommodation including Wollemi Wilderness Treehouse, Enchanted Cave, Love Cabin, Love Studio, Love Tee Pee, Wollemi House, The Sebel Hawkesbury Resort and Spa and Riverside Oaks Golf Resort.
- Bring back the romantic picnic for two – Take a picnic to the picturesque Yarramundi Reserve, Colo River, Hawkesbury River
- Enjoy a swim at the Nepean, Colo or Hawkesbury Rivers, Richmond Pool, Richmond or indoors at Hawkesbury Oasis – South Windsor
- Off Leash Dog Park – Spoil your pooch and take them to socialise with other pampered pets – Ham and Cox Streets, South Windsor – doggy bags and bins provided with fenced area, Peel Park, Arthur Phillip Drive – doggy bags and bins provided with fenced area, North Richmond, Yarramundi Reserve, Springwood Road, Agnes Banks – this area is not fenced.
- Feeling peckish? Enjoy a brunch at one of the local Cafe’s – Sue’s Kitchen, Bridge Cafe, Cafe Red
- How about coffee? Gloria Jeans, George Street, Windsor; Lime and Coconut Cafe, Windsor
- Art Buff or Enthusiast? How about Visiting some great gallleries and studios showcasing photography, best painters and sculptors in our region – try Hawkesbury Regional Museum Windsor, Cobham Hall Museum, Wiseman Ferry Hotel, Kurrajong Radio Museum, Kurrajong Hills Hawkesbury Regional Gallery, Windsor (this is also in the same building as the library which is handy),
- Journey Back in time to Australia’s history with Australiana Pioneer Village, Wilberforce
- Fancy some Horse Riding? Chapman Valley Horse Riding in Howes Valley
- Need for adreneline? – Drive the Indy 800 Go Kart Track – where you can hire a Kart and have some family fun or feuds depending on who wins the race 😉
- Trampolining? Try Planet X Indoor Trampoline Park, Richmond
- Visit a Church? St. Matthews Catholic Church (c.1840) Windsor, St. Monica’s Catholic Church, Richmond, Hawkesbury Church – Windsor, Vineyard Church – Vineyard, Uniting Church Ebenezer (1809) – Ebenezer, Uniting Church – Wilberforce, St. James (c.1857) Pitt Town, St. Johns (1859) Wilberforce, St. Marks (1936) Freemans Reach, St. Albans, St. Albans, South Windsor Baptist Church, Sth Windsor,
- Air Ballooning? Take flight with Balloon Aloft on a leisurely flight over the historic townships followed by a champagne breakfast
- Ghost Tour? Windsor Ghost Tours get into the spirit of things, contact Janice Hart 4577 1421 or 0408 751 422
- Water skiing and fishing – Hawkesbury River is ideal
- Kayaking – Hawkesbury River, Colo and Nepean Rivers and local estuaries
- Bike trail – Feeling energetic, try the ride from Windsor to Bella Vista and there are stops along the way including the cafe’s mentioned above. Now I’m not advocating fast food (although I do love a cheeseburger, chips and coke every now and then 🙂 ) however if you feel like balancing the good with the not so good there are also fast food chains like McDonalds, KFC…after all if you have completed the ride you could almost justify xxxxxxt you deserve a little reward.
- Catch up with friends for a beverage in a local pubs like Macquarie Arms Hotel, Bird in the Hand Inn, Wisemans Inn Hotel, The Heritage Hotel, Clarendon Tavern, Fitzroy Hotel, Australian Hotel.
- Catch an afternoon nap? How long has it been since you took 1/2 hr out of your busy day to simply sit under a tree or on a grassy patch of ground to reconnect, gather your thoughts or catch up on some power Zzzs.
- Decorate your home or office or puppy dog to get into the fun of the Australian Theme
Well there are my thoughts for today, I hope you have fun whatever you find yourself doing today and from my family to yours, Happy Australia Day.
Let me know if you need more information on the local area or I can be of further assistance with your real estate needs.
Rachael 🙂 ????????????????????????
p.s. Don’t forget to check the websites prior to your trip as on Public Holidays trading hours may change.