And what we can do to change that…
According to a U.S. News & World Report, a reported 80% of people who make New Year Resolutions apparently had given up by the end of January before even coming close to reaching their resolution.
And you know what is even more interesting, the old school of thought was it took 21 days to form a habit and change our ways. New research published in the European Journal of Social Psychology by Phillippa Lally Health Psychology Researcher at University College London said not so, and the true timeline is that it takes approximately twice as long as that to form a habit. 66 days long to form a new habit – therefore we are always going to be chasing unicorns and rainbows unless we turn the tide on this debate.
I think we often overestimate what we as people can achieve in an hour, a day or even a week in comparison to what we can achieve in a year, 3 years or even 5 years.
Over the years, I have come to realise as much as we want, not every day can be filled with rainbows and unicorns, we need to pace ourselves. Therefore, I compiled a list of life thoughts (as listed below) and what I found help me move through each year with more of a spring in my step, and I hope you too find some inspiration in these quotes too.
My suggestion is you use one point per week, and focus simply on this thought, or transform the quote to life practice, whatever that may look like for you.
I would love to hear the new opportunities that you discover as a result. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call my office on (02) 45779964, please let me know if you need anything, always happy to help.
All the best for a Powerful New Decade.
Rachael’s 52 Tips for a Powerful New Decade – 2020
- Realise that life is a school and you are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra classes, but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.
- Take a 10-30 minute walk every day. While you walk, smile. It is the ultimate anti-depressant.
- Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day. If you have to, buy a lock.
- Buy a TIVO or similar recording device and record your late-night shows… get more sleep.
- When you wake up in the morning complete the following statement, “My intention today is to __________.”
- Live with the 3 E’s – Energy, Enthusiasm, Empathy.
- Watch more movies, play more games and read more books than you did in 2019.
- Spend more time with people over the age of 70 and under the age of 6.
- Dream more while you are awake.
- Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants. Eat fewer highly processed foods.
- Try to make at least three people smile each day.
- Clear your clutter from your house, car, office desk and let new energy flow into your life.
- Don’t waste your precious energy on gossip, issues of the past, negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead, invest your energy in the positive present moment.
- Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper.
- Smile and laugh more.
- Acknowledge that life isn’t fair, but it’s still good.
- Life is too short to waste time hating anyone, make amends and enjoy life together.
- Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
- You don’t have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
- Make peace with your past, so it won’t spoil the present.
- Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
- Burn candles, use the nice sheets and wear good lingerie, use the good cutlery and crockery sets. Don’t save them for a special occasion. Today is special.
- No-one is in charge of your happiness except you.
- Frame every so-called disaster with these words: “In five years will this matter?”
- Forgive everyone everything.
- What other people think of you is none of your business.
- Time heals almost everything. Give time, time.
- However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
- Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and family will. Stay in touch.
- Get rid of anything that isn’t useful, beautiful or joyful.
- Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
- No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
- Call your Mother and Father often, it might just make their day.
- Each night before you go to bed complete the following statements: “I am thankful for __________.” “Today I accomplished _________.”
- Remember that you are too blessed to be stressed.
- Treat others as you would like to be treated.
- Be the world that you would like to live in.
- Dr Seuss was ahead of his time “Those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind”.
- No-one who gave their best ever regretted it.
- Don’t let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway.
- Talk less, listen more.
- Follow your intuition. It is usually right.
- The early bird catches the worm so early to bed, early to rise.
- Spend less than you earn.
- Never worry about the future. It will come soon enough.
- In the end, it is not the years in your life that count, it’s the life in your years.
- You never know which day is going to be your last. Make the most of everyone you are given.
- Live as if you only have today, dream as if you have forever.
- Enjoy the ride. Remember that this is not Disneyland and you certainly don’t want a fast pass.
- After the curtain was pulled back, the greatest potential to find courage, heart, understanding & home, must come from within more than some magnificent want waved upon you – The Wizard of Oz
- It’s not what we have in life, but who we have in life that matters most.
- Remember, the best is yet to come.