Windsor Bridge is the oldest existing crossing of the Hawkesbury River. The bridge was originally built with a timber deck on cast iron piers in 1875. Over the years the bridge has undergone many alterations including raising the bridge by 2.4 metres and adding a pier in 1897. The timber deck, abutment and the same pier were replaced by reinforced concrete in 1920 and a footpath was added on the downstream side in 1968.
The bridge is 143 metres long and 6.1 metres wide. It carries an average of 18,000 vehicles per day.
While the existing structure is still considered safe for general traffic, parts of the bridge are now over 135 years old.
Options for relocation of the Windsor Bridge are:
Source: NSW Government